The purpose of the Kansas City Woodworkers’ Guild “is to promote the skill and craft of woodworking, and to provide education, information, fellowship and organization to those interested in working with wood. The Guild will sponsor community outreach programs … and other such activities.” (From the Bylaws)
The Guild was founded as an unincorporated association in1984 and incorporated in the state of Missouri on January 29, 1992, as the Kansas City Woodworkers’ Guild, Inc. (the “Guild”) under the Missouri Nonprofit Corporations Act. This incorporation is in good standing.
In October 1992, the IRS issued a determination letter qualifying the Guild as tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the IRC. The determination continues in full force. Confirmation of this determination is available to potential contributors upon request.
The primary objectives of the Guild are
- Education through formal classes, free seminars, demonstrations at meeting, and informal instruction by foremen at open shop sessions.
- Community Service by providing labor, expertise, and shop space to deserving non-profit or municipal beneficiaries. Usually these contacts are made through brochures placed at lumber & craft stores or by word of mouth.
- Safety. The Guild has a very proactive and participative safety program. An active safety committee meets monthly. All members who use shop equipment participate in the safety program. The Safety materials on our web site are used by many educational institutions and other wood guilds.
Funding: The Guild has four primary funding sources:
- Member Dues at various levels of participation.
- Fund raising projects: The Guild has provided labor and expertise to outside for-profit companies in exchange for contributions. Guild members are never compensated.
- Donations-in-kind: The Guild holds a fund raising auction each year in November in conjunction with the Kansas City Woodturners. Manufacturers, retailers, and suppliers to the woodworking industry are asked to donate products for the auction. Donations are received from members and the public.
- Sponsorships and cash donations: Local and national firms may purchase Sponsorship Participation at various levels. For more information, email Sponsorship@KCWoodworkersGuild.org. Generous and responsible citizens support the Guild with cash contributions. If you care to make a donation, mail your check to the Treasurer or use the convenient PayPal button below.