The Program Director is always interested in volunteers and suggestions for programs. No contribution is too small. If you have time or ideas to contribute to the Guild please contact Matt at firstname.lastname@example.org
Links for this page:
A YEAR’S WORTH OF SHOW-&-TELL PICTURES
The Urban Lumber Company takes city trees that would normally be ground into mulch and turns them into beautiful and interesting lumber. The company has a wide variety of local species. The inventory changes regularly and the website usually has fairly up-to-date information regarding what is in stock.
“As a forester and woodworker, I owned a band sawmill for many years and processed plenty of urban trees myself, so I can really appreciate a young entrepreneur getting into the business. Visiting Urban Lumber is like going into a candy shop for a kid or into a fine deli or restaurant for an adult. It is an art shop full of slabs of trees with great potential.” – Matt Nowak, Program Director
See Urban Lumber’s website at http://www.urbanlumberco.com.
7200 E Why 40
Kansas City, MO 664129
Matt Nowak, KCWG Programs Director
Monthly meetings of KCWG are held on the third Wednesday of each month from 7pm to 9pm. Meetings are held at 3189 Mercier, Kansas City, MO. Prospective members are encouraged to attend a meeting. If you like, come early and get a shop tour!
The typical format of meetings is as follows:
- 7:00 – Welcome, announcements, short reports from various departments
- 7:15 – Show-and-Tell: This sounds kind of hokey but it is the most popular part of the meeting. Members of all experience levels bring recent projects (some might not yet be complete) and explain what they built, what methods they used, who helped them, and what problems they overcame. Questions are encouraged.
- 8:00 – Break for cookies, coffee and soft drinks. Show-and-Tell items are on display and the builder is available to discuss the project. Unsolicited opinions are offered; friendly discussions ensue. There is a raffle of donated items. Members gather in small groups to tell fish stories and related lies.
- 8:15 – Formal program: typically an outside speaker or expert from membership ranks.
- 9:00 – Adjournment
- There is an informal gathering after the meeting at Birdies Pub & Grill (back room), 8889 W. 75th Street. It is located in the west end of the strip center at Antioch & 75th, across the street from Shawnee Mission Medical Center. All are invited.
Show& Tell Items
(Double-click on individual pictures for larger images & slide show.)