The Program Director is always interested in volunteers and suggestions for programs. No contribution is too small. If you have time or ideas to contribute to the Guild please contact Matt at email@example.com
Links for this page:
A YEAR’S WORTH OF SHOW-&-TELL PICTURES
Who would have guessed that Santa Claus is a fiddler, too? Steve Mason looks a lot like the Jolly Old Elf but in normal time he is a luthier and with his own luthier and violin shop in Lawrence, KS. Steve will not only address the relationship between wood, wood working, and the tools that make for a good sound, he will also play or sing a tune or two. Since Program Director Matt Nowak is repairing (he said hopefully) an old fiddle that is probably more suited as a wall-hanger, and building a ukulele from Native American woods, he is especially interested in hearing what Steve has to say about the subject. Keep tuned for a good program.
See Steve’s website at http://www.ask-a-luthier.com.
Steve Mason Luthiers
3809 W. 24th Street
Lawrence, Kansas 66047-2508
Matt Nowak, KCWG Programs Director
Monthly meetings of KCWG are held on the third Wednesday of each month from 7pm to 9pm. Meetings are held at 3189 Mercier, Kansas City, MO. Prospective members are encouraged to attend a meeting. If you like, come early and get a shop tour!
The typical format of meetings is as follows:
- 7:00 – Welcome, announcements, short reports from various departments
- 7:15 – Show-and-Tell: This sounds kind of hokey but it is the most popular part of the meeting. Members of all experience levels bring recent projects (some might not yet be complete) and explain what they built, what methods they used, who helped them, and what problems they overcame. Questions are encouraged.
- 8:00 – Break for cookies, coffee and soft drinks. Show-and-Tell items are on display and the builder is available to discuss the project. Unsolicited opinions are offered; friendly discussions ensue. There is a raffle of donated items. Members gather in small groups to tell fish stories and related lies.
- 8:15 – Formal program: typically an outside speaker or expert from membership ranks.
- 9:00 – Adjournment
- There is an informal gathering after the meeting at Birdies Pub & Grill (back room), 8889 W. 75th Street. It is located in the west end of the strip center at Antioch & 75th, across the street from Shawnee Mission Medical Center. All are invited.
Show& Tell Items
(Double-click on individual pictures for larger images & slide show.)